History of Vandalia
| In 1838, Vandalia was nothing more than the crossing point of two dirt trails near a spot we now know as the intersection of National Road (Route 40) and Dixie Drive. Benjamin Wilhelm, a settler from Pennsylvania was the first to settle here, building his home and a small general store that would serve travelers as they journeyed westward.
The busy path attracted more entrepreneurs and soon a small settlement began to take shape. In 1848, incorporation papers were filed to establish the Village of Vandalia. Mr. Wilhelm became its first mayor.
In 1911, a nationally-funded road program had significant impact upon Vandalia. Construction began on a lake-to-the-gulf highway from Detroit to Cincinnati and points even farther south. The most advantageous route for this highway brought it along that north-south dirt path -- that had since become known as the the Troy Pike. The new highway intersected the National Road crowning Vandalia...The Crossroads of America!
Today, Vandalia's "old" crossroads is complemented by a new one at Interstate Route 70 and 75, optimizing travel to all parts of the Midwest. Dayton International Airport's presence in our community makes Vandalia a hub of the airways, as well.